Monday, April 20, 2009

My New Normal

I'm trying. I went to back to work today despite every fiber in my body wanting to stay home and in bed. But, I did it. I got up, brushed my teeth and took a shower. Drove to work, opened the door to my first graders on time. I made it through reading and then shed a few tears with a fellow co-worker who all to well knows this pain. I am finding that there are many more members of this clu b than I could have ever imagined. A club that no one would ever want to purposely join, but in the same way, everyone who is a part of it, completely understands what you are going through. No words needed.

My day ended the day with gentle words and a knowing smile from my boss and a pat on the shoulder from an uneasy friend. In those gestures, I knew they cared about me. No other words needed. I am finding that the most comfort comes when you don't need to explain anything at all.


I don't think I'll ever like this new normal, carrying around this new, uneasy part of me. I can't describe it, but I know it has forever changed me.

So, here's to tomorrow.
One step at a time
Towards a new normal
Maybe someday it'll be mine.

No comments: