Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chicken Salad

A funny, as in strange, thing happened today when I was making myself some lunch. Not feeling like the usual pb&j or turkey sandwich, I discovered that there was still leftover chicken in the fridge. Chicken salad on whole wheat crackers. Yummm.

It dawned on me while I was tearing the chicken into pieces by hand, that John was the one that made me eat chicken salad ALL of the time. I would stop by the local grocery store on the way to school just to pick up some for breakfast. My first graders thought that I was crazy, but I didn't care. The baby wanted, needed chicken salad.

Thinking back, I had noticed that there was a small time period prior to losing him that I stopped craving chicken salad. I didn't want it at all. I actually did notice this lack of desire when I was still pregnant, but chaulked it up to him deciding that he wanted something else. Never would I have imagined that my lack of chicken salad consumption would indicate, at least I think, that he would no longer be with us. And honestly, probably wasn't with us anymore at that point anyway. He seems to have passed a couple of weeks before he made his physical exit out of my body.

I didn't cry over my chicken salad lunch. This is an improvement, at least today it is. I think it will be harder to come upon events like this the closer his due date gets. But for now, I enjoyed my leftover chicken turned into chicken salad with light mayo on whole wheat crackers. Just like he liked it.

No comments: